Back in June, we talked about IT certifications tech pros should consider to help enhance and advance their careers. We’d like to add a few more to that list focusing on those who work in the database niche. DBAs, database developers, data analysts, architects, BI and data warehousing specialists are in high demand in today’s market.
Over the years the database landscape has changed, and it may not be the most cutting-edge technology in the market, but there is always a need for knowledgeable, talented database professionals, especially as data science continues to evolve. Here are some of the most sought-after certifications in the world of databases:
- Oracle Certified Professional (OCP): Oracle University is a tech pro’s hub for all certifications related to Oracle. Candidates are required to attend authorized training classes in order to prep for and qualify for exams, but some cases (like MySQL and others) do not. Keep in mind that Oracle certifications are cumulative, and you should master moving through certifications sequentially, by level.
- Certified Data Management Pro (ICCP CDMP): Few university programs are well known for vendor-neutral database certs. The Institute for The Certification of Computing Professionals (ICCP) offers Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP) credentials at two levels: Practitioner and Mastery. This is an excellent track for pros who want to establish themselves as database professionals but don’t want to be tied down to one platform or vendor. Recertification is required as is continuing education.
- Microsoft SQL Server Database Certifications: Microsoft’s SQL Server is the second most popular platform behind Oracle. To ensure a trained army of pros to keep things running smoothly, Microsoft offers credentials at every level from the Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) all the way to the Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) program. There are a variety of officially sanctioned and non-officially sanctioned classes and materials available to help prep for certification exams.
- IBM Information Management Certifications: IBM is the granddaddy of IT certifiers, and has offered over 500 individual programs over the last 30 years. One of the most popular certification tracks today is the IBM Analytics for the Information Management portfolio, which includes nearly 40 individual tracks covering platforms like DB2, Informix, InfoSpehere, and WebSphere as well as data warehousing, BI, IMS, and more. The range of database credentials offered includes Database Associate, Database Administrator, Advanced Database Administrator, Solutions Developer, Solutions Expert, etc.
- MongoDB NoSQL Certifications: MongoDB is well suited for big data projects and has seen a surge in popularity in recent years. The certification program offers two credentials: MongoDB Certified Developer and MongoDB Certified DBA. For database professionals interested in venturing into big data projects and NoSQL databases, the MongoDB certification is worth pursuing.
There are nearly endless numbers of certifications available for database professionals. Whether you are a developer, engineer, DBA, or BI professional, certs can help you accelerate your career and reinforce your skill set.